Friday, September 5, 2014

Branching Out or A Leap of Faith

     Having Autism, it's really hard for me to meet new people. I can't just go up to someone and start a conversation with them. I'm not good at small talk, and I run out of questions to ask people about themselves or things to say. However, if people come up and talk to me first, I'm better at staying with the conversation. Since it's hard for me to meet people like others do, I don't know a lot of people on campus. It's kind of discouraging sometimes. I see people around me greeting each other and sitting together. They all seem to know each other. I wanted to be a part of that. There are social clubs at LCU. They are kind of like frats and sororities but not as strict and cliche-ish. It's just as the name implies, a SOCIAL club, a way to meet new people and have a community with others. I thought about joining one last year, but I didn't want to become overwhelmed since I had just started at LCU. Now, I'm ready. I want that community and sisterhood. I want to meet new people and make more friends. Also, it'll be easier this way because I won't be the only one that has to meet new people; it won't be all on me. 
     Last night, I went to the first meeting they had about joining the social clubs. The process is called RUSH, and it's kind of like a choosing and initiation process. It's a long process that's going to last all semester, but I think it's going to be worth it. One of the girls clubs invited us to a girls' night after the meeting. I thought to myself, "I have to go to that. What a great opportunity to make new friends! It'll also be a great opportunity to meet the people in this particular club, for them to get to know me before RUSH, and maybe for them to want me in their club." Maybe if I show them I want to hang out with them and get to know them, they'll be more likely to give me a bid (an invite to be in their club). Even if I don't end up in their club, I will have made some new friends. That's one of the things I want most of all. Win: Win! 
     I went, by myself I will add, to girls' night. I didn't know anyone. I mean, I'd seen some of the girls around campus but didn't know any of them personally. I was a little uneasy at first and a little slow to warm up, but the girls were really nice and welcoming. Many of them came up to me, which I need, and introduced themselves to me and talked to me. I met so many new people and had some awesome conversations. We made s'mores and had a great time! I even got invited to join them at next week's girls' night! I'm also friends with several of the girls on Facebook now. It felt so amazing to branch out and meet new people. Kelcy: 1 Autism: 0

"I live in the same world you do; I just experience it differently. I am a human being with feelings, just like you; I just express them in my own way." ~Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment