Friday, September 20, 2013

Darn Wheat and Dairy

     Ok, so I should have written this post a while ago. I just never found the time. Most of my life, I have experienced a variety of symptoms and developed new ones that seemed unrelated. Examples: gastrointestinal problems, migraines, cluster headaches, chronic sinusitis, restless leg syndrome, irritability, and muscle aches. After doing extensive research, (because I do that kind of stuff LOL) I found something called Allergic Tension-Fatigue syndrome. It's when a food allergy doesn't cause a serious reaction but can cause symptoms like the ones I experience. 
     Since food allergy tests are really expensive, I decided to do an elimination diet. From observations, I had a feeling wheat might be the culprit. So I completely eliminated it from my diet. It was extremely hard. I had no idea how many foods had wheat in them. However, after a few weeks, I noticed the changes. I had more energy. The main thing was relief from my gastrointestinal problems. It was amazing! 
     Since completely eliminating wheat is really hard and expensive, I have decided to only eliminate the items that are mainly wheat (breads, pastas, crackers, cookies, cereals, etc.) It still helps, and I find a lot of good wheat- or gluten-free foods in stores. 
     I also discovered I have a mild lactose intolerance. However, it seems to seems to affect me when I drink regular milk or eat a lot of ice cream or yogurt. Because of this, I drink Silk milk. I've tried yogurts made with almond or soy milk, and I can't stand the texture. So I just stick to regular yogurt and try not to eat too much. It's the same with ice cream. I just watch how much I eat. 
     All these changes required some sacrifice, but it was all worth it so that I could feel better. I'm having to give up some of my favorite foods, but it's ok. I found out they were some of the ones making me feel bad. 

"I live in the same world you do; I just experience it differently. I am a human being with feelings, just like you; I just express them in my own way." ~Me~


No comments:

Post a Comment