Saturday, March 21, 2015

Taking Autism on the Road

     So this week was my spring break. It's been nice to have the time off from school and work. On Tuesday, my mom, my aunt, and I traveled to Dallas to visit my uncle. He is getting ready to move down here closer to us so we went to help him sort through some of the stuff in his house.
     We drove down there to Dallas, which was fine with me. I love long car rides. I didn't always like riding in the car, but that's another topic for a different day lol. Now, I can ride in the car for hours and not say a word. As long as I have music to listen to, I can slip into my own little world and be fine the whole trip. I'm not sure what it is about riding in the car that's so hypnotizing for me. Maybe it's just the motion of the car itself. Maybe it's because I like to watch the scenery go by outside my window and change as we make our way into different landscapes. Maybe it's just because I love music and listening to it makes me happy. Maybe it's because I have a very good imagination, and the only thing I need to keep me entertained is my mind. For whatever reason, it means you may not hear a sound out of me for hours at a time in the car. Don't get me wrong: if other people are talking to me, playing games, singing, stuff like that, I'll join in. Most of the time, though, I'm doing my own thing. I hardly ever sleep in the car either. The only time I do is if I'm drop-dead tired. Other than that, I stay awake and pretty quiet.
     It's actually kind of nice. Long car rides usually means a big trip, vacation, or something special like that. While those things are nice and fun, they can require a lot of energy from an introverted, autistic person like me. The car ride going to the place is important because it'll be the last personal time I get for a while. You know, to just be with myself and my thoughts. It also helps me prepare for the time ahead that'll be spent with other people. The car ride back home is also a good time to be "by myself". I can wind down from the trip and process everything that happened before I get back home.
     So if you ever ride in the car with me and I don't talk to you, please don't be offended. I'm just letting my mind process things and rest. I'm probably off in my own little world and don't even notice other people. If you want to talk or play a game or anything like that, say something. Most of the time, I'll be happy to oblige if you ask. I'm just not that much of an initiator haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment