Monday, October 7, 2013

I Wish You Could Walk a Mile in My Shoes

I wish you could see what I see
I see the pattern of a leaf
And every blade of grass
I see all the colors of a painting
And each stroke of the brush

I like to look at the spinning fan
And the scenes that rush by
The window of the car
I like to watch a ball
As I roll it in front of my face

I don't like bright lights
Or when there are too many sights
I may not look into your eyes
Because they are filled
With things I may not understand

I wish you could hear what I hear
I hear the instruments of a song
And the animals calling out
I hear my mom and dad
When they say, "I love you."

I hear thunder in a storm
And the loud crash
Of something breaking on the floor
Those sounds pierce my ears
And I cover them with my hands

I hear you say my name
And when you laugh at me
I hear when you talk to me
And when you talk about me
I understand more than you think

I wish you could feel what I feel
Sometimes I feel happy and excited
I like to jump and bounce around
Or skip and run about
It gets all my energy out

Sometimes I feel scared, anxious, or frustrated
I may move my body in odd ways
Or scream and cry and hit
I may even lash out at people I love
I'm just trying to show you how I feel

I wish you could think how I think
I experience the world
Different than most people
Many people don't understand
Though they may try

I often stare off and want to be alone
People say I'm in my own world
Maybe I am
But how do you know I'm not also
Thinking, dreaming, inventing, creating, reflecting?

Anything I want to do, I can
If you just give me a chance
I may work on my own time
And I might need some help
But I am not limited

I have Autism
And this is my world
I want you to know
I am more than what you see
I am more than what you think

I wish you could experience
The world the way I do
And understand my point of view
It sure would help you if you
Could walk a mile in my shoes

"I live in the same world you do; I just experience it differently. I am a human being with feelings, just like you; I just express them in my own way." ~Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment