Thursday, October 24, 2013

Bipolar Disorder

     Yesterday, at one of my 3-month psychiatric evaluations, I learned my "official" mood disorder diagnosis. It's Bipolar Disorder-NOS or Not Otherwise Specified. This means I have a lot of characteristics for a bipolar diagnosis, and I respond positively to a mood stabilizer. However, I haven't quite met all the criteria for any of the specific bipolar disorders yet...at least as far as they've seen. 
     It's interesting I still have this "label". Not Otherwise Specified is not used in the DSM anymore to name disorders. Now, it would be Unspecified Bipolar Disorder. The definition doesn't change, just the name. Personally, I think they changed it to shorten the name. Anyway, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder a couple of years ago; before the current DSM manual came out. They still used the term NOS. Also, since the current DSM is so new, a lot of doctors still use the term.
     If anything, I still hold the belief that my diagnosis should be Bipolar II Disorder. I know myself pretty well and, well, I'm around myself more than they are LOL. I think I fit the criteria pretty well. Not that it matters. I love the medication I'm on. Whatever the specific type of disorder I have, the medication works for it. After years of failed medications, this is great. 

"I live in the same world you do; I just experience it differently. I am a human being with feelings, just like you; I just express them in my own way." ~Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment