Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dreadful Dentist Visits

So a few weeks ago, I had to go to the dentist for my yearly check up and cleaning. Now, I don't like the dentist. I assumed everyone didn't like the dentist either. After our appointments, I talked to my mom and brother about how they felt about the dentist. I learned they actually don't have a problem with the dentist and getting their teeth cleaned. My mom told me she can actually almost fall asleep sometimes. I never realized this. When I get anything done at the dentist, my whole body is tense. Everything they do hurts or feels weird to me. Also, the noises of their instruments scraping against my teeth feel like they are drilling into my head. I can't stand it. I have to ask the hygenist to take breaks from her work because I get overwhelmed by all of it. Although I like the way my teeth feel after I leave the dentists office, I don't like the process it takes to get them there. I learned it is because of my autism that I have a harder time at the dentist's office. Because of my sensory issues, it's a difficult thing for me. While most people can get through it easily, I struggle to stay calm and bear through it. The sensory issues in my mouth don't stop there either. I mentioned in my last post that I have food sensitivities. I also have to force myself to brush my teeth everyday because it feels so weird. However, sometimes I need more sensory input. That's when I like to chew on things like ice or straws. Even when I was a kid, I was one of those kids that constantly chewed on my shirt. My mom hated it haha. So, that's the story of how I just recently learned my autism is responsible for my dislike of the dentist. 

 "I live in the same world you do; I just experience it differently. I am a human being with feelings, just like you; I just express them in my own way." ~Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment